The Hollyford Track is a very popular tramping track in New Zealand. Situated at the northern edge of Fiordland, in the southwestern South Island, it is different from the rest of Fiordland's tracks in that it is to a great extent level and available year-round. It takes after the Hollyford River which runs through the Hollyford Valley.
The track is around 56 kilometers long. It keeps running in a generally south-north heading, its southern end being available by road towards the east of the Homer Tunnel, and its northern end being at the Tasman Sea at Martins Bay, north of Milford Sound.For the vast majority of its way, the track takes follows the Hollyford River.
There are two lakes along the track, Lake Alabaster and Lake McKerrow , the last being a cove now cut off from the ocean by silt. The track goes through marsh lands, with steep mountains. The track is part of the Department of Conservation with a few bunk cottages scattered along its length for the trampers to stay in over night.
A brief history of how the Hollyford track started
In the beginning of European settlement, there was much eagerness for a business port at Martins Bay, driven by the Otago Council. A settlement Jamestown was built and a few houses assembled there, eleven years on prompted by the steady melting away of the settlement and the citizens, which for all intents and purposes was gone by 1879, Just a single family, the McKenzies, stayed near Martins Bay.
They sold their property to the Gunn family in 1926. Gunn kept on cultivating the territory, and furthermore established the tramping tourism industry in the area, taking walkers along the valleys of the Hollyford, Pyke and Cascade Rivers. After his passing in 1955, his child Murray kept on directing trampers in the range, and began "Gunn's Camp", a rest-stop for trampers with store and little exhibition hall, which still stands close to the southern end of the track to this day, around 10 km from the Milford Sound-Te Anau end of the walk.